Director, Asset Management - Canadian Multi-Family
The Director of Asset Management (DAM) will be responsible for coordinating members of the asset management team (analysts and/or asset managers) to ensure that the assets under his/her management perform according to or exceed the goals set out in each asset management plan. The Director will also work to strengthen vendor and client relationships.
Duties and ResponsibilitiesAsset Plan Execution:
- Evaluate performance of the assets vis-à-vis the individual asset plans, and recommend and implement revisions as necessary.
- Complete financial review on a monthly basis, and a full financial review and analysis on a quarterly basis.
- Set annual operational and capital budgets in accordance with asset plans. Including: providing guidance to all team members on assumptions, managing the internal timelines and milestone dates, coordinating delivery of budget files with the property management companies.
- Engage appropriate third party providers for design-related capital projects; direct, review, and approve design projects for implementation with capital projects team.
- Review and provide approval of capital projects. Monitor progress of projects to ensure timely completion and quality control.
- Provide direction to 3rd party property management companies regarding day-to-day management and operation activities.
- Ensure compliance to conditions set in place by financial institutions/lenders, municipalities and other governing bodies for all assets. Provide updates and direct activities to correct any deficiencies.
- Prepare leasing and marketing strategy to maximize the income profile and value of each property, supported by market-based comparables and competitive information.
- Attend property tours on a regular basis with team members, each property should be visited, at minimum, once per calendar year.
Value Add Opportunities:
- Work with the team to ensure that all possible value creation opportunities are identified.
- Recommend and implement such programs with assistance from capital projects teams and/or 3rd party property management companies.
- Oversee the professional development of direct reports
- Oversee strategic projects, as needed for the Canadian Multi- Family portfolio, providing guidance to team members
- Review asset manager property level reports; prepare and present quarterly reporting to clients.
- Review and present ad-hoc reporting, and business cases as reasonably requested by client.
- Ensure that the team is appropriately managing property tax appeals process.
- Oversee the internal reporting prepared by the analyst team.
- Take ownership of the acquisitions, dispositions, and financing transactions related to the portfolio and act as the lead communicator with all related third parties (property managers, lawyers, etc.)
- Coordinate due diligence activities with other departments and/or third parties.
- Manage investor/client relations activities.
- Promote the Starlight brand in the real estate community.
- Liaise with other internal departments and team members regarding value add opportunities and special projects (i.e. energy initiatives, marketing)
- Organize and lead property tours with Client and other stakeholders.
- Conduct other day-to-day relations with third parties, including property managers, suppliers, joint ventures, lenders, brokers, consultants, advisors, accountants, lawyers, insurers, appraisers, and regulatory bodies.
- Degree in Business and/or related field; MBA or professional designation an asset
- 8-10 years experience in a related field
- Time-management, prioritizing, and multi-tasking skills
- Oral and written communication skills
- Organizational skills
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Interpersonal skills, work well with others