Controller, Canadian Multi-Family
Reporting to the Executive Director of Finance, the Controller will be directly responsible for managing the overall financial operations of various entities and responsible to provide accurate information, including analysis, budgeting, forecasting and preparation of financial reports.
Duties and Requirements
- Manage the accounting operations including the detailed review of journal entries, balance sheet account reconciliations and financial statements.
- Detailed review of the monthly, quarterly and annual operating results for each property. This includes reviewing the work of the property managers, and ensuring they are reporting accurately and timely.
- Work with external auditors, including the preparation of audit working papers and financial statements.
- Generate financial information for quarterly and annual reports and responsible for the accuracy and timeliness of financial information
- Detailed review of monthly cash calls from the property managers to ensure accuracy and that the requests are within company guidelines.
- Review of the weekly cash flow analysis performed by senior accountants
- Assist the Executive Director of Finance in managing various treasury functions
- Detailed review of account reconciliations completed by the accounting manager, junior and senior accountants
- Responsible for the preparation of monthly financial statements and external reporting to financial institutions, ensuring that all reporting requirements are met
- Responsible for the preparation of the financial statements and all corresponding notes to the financial statements; there are multiple sets of financial statements under various GAAPs (ie: ASPE, IFRS)
- Responsible for drafting the MD&A
- Generation of reports of performance against budgets, and review and analysis of the variances from budget
- Review the recording of the trust ledgers and working with the lawyers to ensure complete and timely information
- Responsible for gathering accurate information to assist in the statement of adjustments for properties being disposed of
- Detailed review of acquisition, disposal and refinancing journal entries. If the transaction is complex, then responsible for preparing these journal entries themselves
- Special projects as required, including carve out audits for acquisitions/disposal
- University degree in Business/Accounting with advanced degree or professional accounting designation (such as CA, CPA) preferred
- Proficient communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Experience overseeing audits performed by external audit firms
- Knowledge of accounting principles, practices and applications
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office and Excel
- Management and or supervisory experience. We are an approved CPA training office, so need to be willing to work closely with staff to teach them and train them, as they work toward obtaining the CPA designation
- Professional written and verbal communications skills
- Good problem solving skills and the ability to make the necessary decisions to move forward the work at hand
- Ability to adapt to and learn new software
- Able to work efficiently as a part of a team as well as independently
- Able to work well under pressure
- Good organizational, time management and prioritizing skills
- Ability to interpret and implement company policies and procedures
- Willing to get into the detail, and performing all tasks themselves. While the role has a significant element of review, the environment is dynamic, and the individual needs to be willing to get into the detail themselves